Saturday, January 12, 2008

Big Snow in Reno


Last week, we had a huge storm blow into the sierra and into Reno.
The mountains received 8-12 feet of new snow.
I reside in the foothills of Peavine Mountain in Reno, and by Saturday morning I received 14 fresh inches of snow. Ahhh, Perfect for picture taking.

I love these events because it always makes for some great photo opportunities.

So without giving it a second thought, I slapped on my snow shoes, grabbed my camera and scurried out the door. Always on the hunt for some cool shots.

Cool was an understatement. It was freezing, with 40 mile-per-hour winds, temperatures in the 20's and snow
pelting my face. All the more fun, I thought.

My son on the other hand, was not as adventurous as I, and quickly retreated to the comfort of our home.



Up the hill I persisted, looking for anything that was different, anything that was unique. This was not as easy as it looked, for I had shot this trek up Peavine many snows before.

Still I persisted, shooting at will. I shot anything that caught my eye. Once again, clicking out of control. Getting as many shots as possible before the moisture consumed my lens.

I thrust the camera deep into the protection of my coat, as the wind and snow completely consumed me. I could barely point and shoot without having to duck away. Time was running out, I thought. The moisture was quickly building up on my camera lens. Only have time for a few more shots...I muttered under my breath.

So I got as low as I could pointing the camera directly into the path of the wind and pelting snow, and shot.

Finally, the wind, snow and moisture build up, was too much for my lens. I had to retreat. Turning, I cradled my camera like an infant, whipping away the snow from the lens and body, quickly making my way back down the trail.

Snow covered and wet, I lumbered back into the warmth of the house, camera in tow. I quickly removed any remaining moisture from the camera, knowing too well that water and digital technology don't mix.

Like reaching for treasure, I pulled the drive from my camera and quickly downloaded the shots. Soon, I would be sifting through the lot of images, searching, hoping...



You see photography is not my profession, but my hobby, nothing is planned in these spur of the moment shoots. So its with quiet anticipation that great shots reveal themselves.

To view all my Peavine shots and more Reno in winter click here.

Sincerely

Tom Robinson
owner: renostock.com

No comments: